Sunday, August 26, 2012

Blog Post Assignment #1

My Life in Two Paragraphs
I am Sidney Jensen, born to my parents, Wendell and Valerie Jensen, in October of the year of our Lord 1988. I was annxiously awaited by my two sisters, Wendee and Maethel, and we were all joined later by my youngest sister Emma. I have lived in Utah and Alabama in the United States and for two years in Paraguay, South America as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.
I have several interests and enjoy them regularly. I am an Eagle Scout in the Boy Scouts Of America, a return missionary for my church, a video-gaming enthusiast, and in constant search of new movies and music to watch and listen to. I enjoy camping and have lived in Wellington Alabama, a rural area with little of the many wonders available here in mobile. I love having good times with friends and learning new things and I have a real love of literature. I also love practicing my Spanish and trying new foods and things
By now you all are probably wondering, how did you decide to go into teaching? I have worked at a Boy Scout Summer Camp in Delta Alabama for six years and found that I enjoyed watching others move forward and begin to understand the world around them. I loved the opportunity to help others and also enjoyed watching everyone overcome their challenges in their own way. I then went on my mission and had daily opportunities to share knowledge on spiritual and doctrinal points in my religon as well as others. I returned and after a little time dithering over what I really wanted to do for the rest of my life, I combined my love of literature and teaching and decided to become an English teacher in high school. I got my Substitue teaching licence shortly after that and have thouroghly enjoyed the learning opportunities and experiences that have come along with that.
Randy Pausch On Time Managment
A lot of what Mr. Pausch discussed in his lecture is information that we covered as missionaries in South America, but I disagree with him that we "Americans" are not very good at time management. I think that it is a human fault, that all of us have a predisposition to procrastinate and that those who do excel at time management do so because it is a learned trait. As a missionary, we had weekly planning sessions every Friday and set weekly and daily goals for our proseliting work. We also had monthly and daily planning sessions respectivly. I agree that we need to ask ourselves, "What will happen if I don't do this?" whenever the urge to procrastinate hits us.

12 comments:

  1. Sidney,I enjoyed reading about you. You have done some interesting things in life thus far. Your missionary work is very interesting to me. I can tell your church life is a meaningful part of your life as is mine to me.

    While reading your Introduction Blog, I noticed you used really good grammar, spelling and punctuation. I also noticed parts of the assignment were missing. I made it a point to reread the assignment to make sure I covered everything. Take the time to reread because it's really easy to forget parts of the assignment. I did not see the optional part and I think you would have found the other information on Randy P. interesting. Your information on Time Management was very well written. You clearly understood what Randy was talking about. I did not see line breaks in your blog and be sure to include those. You used bold headers and that was good. Your blog was well written and now I know who you are. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete