Sunday, September 16, 2012

Blog Post #3

I don't believe in Constructive Criticism

Correction and evaluation are key parts of teaching and it is imperative that one knows how and when to give correction. I say correction and not criticism, because I do not believe in constructive criticism. Criticism means to tear down and you cannot tear down and build up at the same time. I really like the fact that the model, explained in the slide show, for guiding someone to better their work should begin with complementing what the person did right. As the old saying goes, “you can attract more bees with honey than with vinegar.”
I also really liked that all three prompts for this assignment put in suggestions before correction, as this will give both the reviewer and the person on review the opportunity to exchange ideas and gain an understanding of what the other is trying to say. The exchange of ideas and information between others will only improve and expand our understanding.

Special Needs call for Special Methods
I really liked this video, Technology in Special Education because I have substitute taught in a multi-disabled class setting before and I felt, at times, that the program almost need to be a one on one teaching style because of the various challenges presented by the students varying levels of ability.
The fact that Ms. Cook found these methods of helping her students is amazing, whether on her own or with help and instruction, is truly astounding. Special education students are sometimes looked over or given little attention by all those who are not connected personally with the program. I would never have had the idea of using a keyboard to insure that a nonverbal student understood a concept just as thoroughly as a verbally communicative student.

Educating, Is there an App for that?
Though I don’t feel that I would enjoy working with multi-disabled students all the time, I have found that if you can find a shared interest with students the teaching becomes much easier. I love the app that Apple recently put out called Star Walk, which shows the position of planets, stars and other celestial bodies in the sky. With this app you could not only teach planetary orbits and constellation recognition but you could also go into mythology, and as Greek mythology seems to present itself in many books and poems lately make a transition into English, reading and reading comprehension.

My Future StudentsDigital Smarts
The technologies that will define the lives of my students don’t even exist yet, and it will be my job as an educator to prepare them to learn. Learn all their lives and trust that the same can be done whether you are the richest or the poorest, whether you be the bookworm or the computer geek we can all find out how to use the new tools around us to become better than what we are now. I don’t really know how I am going to incorporate the technology into my classes, as I expect to be teaching more Classical than technology age English, but that doesn’t mean that it can’t be done. I will have to find the way to bring blogging into Shakespeare and maybe gaming into Grammar. I think that the most important thing is to give the student as much opportunity to teach as you take to instruct. They need the feeling that the education is for their future use not just for immediate regurgitation.

3 comments:

  1. Sidney,
    I thought your writing was of great quality! I really liked all of the special headings that you included. It really was creative and gives the reader a sense of foreshadowing.
    I do disagree with your view of criticism, because as a technical term, it literally means to point out error and to show areas with room for improvement. Most people would agree with you, but it's just a connotation that goes with the word because it has been used so often as a euphamism for the not-so-nice act of, as you said, tearing someone down. I learned this in one of my English classes, that a lot of great writers have "critics" and "criticism", which doesn't necessarily mean that all criticism tears them down, because it is meant to be balanced with the good and bad. That's just not what we think of when we hear the word.

    Your commentary on "Technology in Special Education" was really good! You gave specific examples to back up your opinion. In my limited experience, I have observed teachers in the Special Education environment who seemed over-whelmed with so many students, who, as you stated, all need one-on-one instruction and help a good majority of the time. It's not replacing human interaction with technology as some might argue, giving Special Needs students tools to keep them engaged and that fit their needs helps them to interact with the teacher and with others. It gives them a life-line, so to speak.
    What you had to say on the segment about Apps was amazing! It was great that you thought not only of how it could be applied to content areas and curriculum, but to engage the class and establish common ground. Technology saves time, and the time that is left can be spent keeping the students engaged or revealing a special interest they didn't really know they had!
    Also, I loved your commentary on how technology levels the playing field and brings all types of students together!
    Keep up the brilliant work! Already the makings of a great, caring, and creative teacher :)
    Carly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carly. I appreciate your comments. Glad to see I met your standards this week as opposed to last time. Thanks again. Sid.

      Delete
  2. Sidney,
    I like the comparison you used about attracting more bees with honey. My dad said this to me a lot growing up. I try to keep that analogy in mind as I go through life and interact with other people. Some of your blog posts seemed a little short. For example in the post regarding technology there was only one paragraph, but we were supposed to write two or three. This might just be a spacing issue though. I think the app you chose would be very useful and informative in a classroom. I would’ve liked to read how you thought it would be beneficial to special needs students. I noticed you had some clickable links throughout your blog, and there were few grammatical errors. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete